Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Happy Birthday To Me!

I've always dreamed of turning 40.  Despite society's insistence that we all aspire to obtain a 20 year old's body and a pre-teen's youthful glow, I love getting older.  Love the confidence and wisdom that comes with aging.  Love the fact that I can FINALLY tell the difference between what's truly important and the bullshit that only disguises itself as such.  (Experience really is the world's best teacher.)

But at 40 years old...

I haven't even come close to reaching my full potential.

I haven't made a dent in my bucket list; hell, it's been so long since I've even looked at that list that I don't even remember what's on it anymore.

But all that is about to change.

For my 40th birthday, I'm giving myself the gift of selfishness.  No more putting others first and resenting them for it afterwards.  No more being afraid to ask (or even demand) exactly what it is that I want.  No more treating myself to only second best (if I'm lucky).  And no more resting on my laurels and expecting the world to hand me anything.  Whatever I want out of life, I'm gonna have to work my ass off to obtain.

Wow, thank God it only took me 40 years to figure all of this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment